IMR powders have been produced for more than 200 years, since E.I. DuPont began the business. The IMR series of powder is trusted by reloaders all over the world and is available for use in a variety of reloading applications.
IMR 4064 is one of the most adaptable propellants in the IMR series and is used for a wide range of calibers, including the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, 6mm Remington, 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum, 308 Winchester, and 338 Winchester Magnum, to name just a few. versatility with consistency and precision.
Here’s some information about IMR 4064 powder
1. Composition: IMR 4064 powder is a single-base extruded powder. It is primarily composed of nitrocellulose, which provides consistent burn rates and performance.
2. Burning Rate: IMR 4064 powder falls into the medium burning rate range. It is considered a versatile powder that can be used in a wide variety of rifle cartridges, ranging from small to large calibers.
3. Application: IMR 4064 is commonly used in cartridges such as .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and many others. It is a popular choice for both target shooting and hunting applications.
4. Temperature Stability: IMR powders, including IMR 4064, are known for their temperature stability. They are designed to perform consistently across a range of temperatures, ensuring reliable performance in different environmental conditions.
5. Bullet Compatibility: IMR 4064 works well with a range of bullet weights and types. It is often used with medium-weight bullets in the 130 to 180 grains range, but it can be used with lighter or heavier bullets depending on the specific cartridge and desired performance.
6. Load Data: IMR provides load data for IMR 4064 powder in their reloading manuals and on their website. It includes recommended charge weights, bullet types, bullet weights, and other relevant information for various cartridges. Always refer to the latest and most reliable load data from IMR or other reputable sources to ensure safe and accurate reloading.
7. Load Development: When developing loads with IMR 4064, it is important to start with the minimum recommended charges and work up gradually while monitoring for signs of excessive pressure. Each rifle can have its own unique preferences, so careful load development and testing are necessary to find the optimal charge weight for your specific firearm.
8. Safety Precautions: As with any reloading powder, it is crucial to follow standard safety precautions. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, maintaining a clean and organized reloading area, and storing the powder properly in a cool, dry place away from heat and ignition sources.
Always prioritize safety and follow established reloading practices when using IMR 4064 or any other reloading powder. Consult reliable sources for the most up-to-date load data and guidelines, and if you have any specific concerns or questions, it is recommended to reach out to IMR or seek guidance from experienced reloaders.